Match Report: Aberdeen 2-1 St Mirren

St Mirren's search for a first away point of the season continues after the Buddies fell to a 2-1 loss at Pittodrie this afternoon.

Jon Obika's third goal for Saints got Jim Goodwin's side level after Sam Cosgrove had given the home side an early lead. Niall McGinn put the hosts in front for a second time 10 minutes into the second-half, but the Buddies spurned a glorious chance to grab a share of the spoils when Tony Andreu missed a penalty with just six minutes remaining. 

Saints, without a win at Pittodrie in eight years, could have found themselves one up with less than a minute on the clock. Obika held the ball up and knocked forward to the returning Andreu whose neat touch allowed Sam Foley to run on to the ball deep in the Aberdeen half. The Englishman fed the ball over the Dons defence to find Andreu inside the box with the Frenchman's effort pushed away by Aberdeen goalkeeper Joe Lewis.

But despite the bright start Saints found themselves behind on six minutes. A weak header from Sean McLoughlin fell invitingly for Sam Cosgrove who, with time and space, made no mistake from 15 yards as he slammed high into the net to put Aberdeen 1-0 ahead. 

The Saints reaction was good with Kyle Magennis forcing Joe Lewis into a save at his near post on 13 minutes, but the home side had a couple of chances in quick succession with Cosgrove slicing wide after running on to meet a Greg Leigh knock down, while Lewis Ferguson should have doubled the Dons advantage when he met a pinpoint Zak Vyner cross but somehow nodded wide from just a few yards out. 

And just moments after that miss from Ferguson, Saints found themselves level. Ryan Flynn did brilliantly to charge into the box from the right hand side. He played a low ball across the face of goal where it met Obika who touched home from close range. 

The 352 travelling fans were in fine voice following the goal and Saints were on top for the rest of the first-half. Another low ball into the box from Flynn's knocked wide by Leigh for a corner on 31 minutes. It was the midfielder who took the corner with MacKenzie rises highest to nod just over the bar.  

Calum Waters put in a brilliant ball into the box a few moments later when Saints were awarded a free-kick after Sam Foley was fouled. McLoughlin got his head on it but sent wide. 

Saints were having their best spell of the match so far but the Dons showed how dangerous they could be with Waters having to be switched on to clear a Cosgrove header off the line. 

Aberdeen started the opening stages of second-half the stronger of the two sides and took the lead for a second time on 56 minutes. From a Saints point it was a frustrating goal to concede with an unmarked Niall McGinn having all the time in the world to slam home to put Aberdeen 2-1 in front.

The St Mirren reaction was good though and the Buddies could have levelled just two minutes after the Dons second goal. Obika headed Foley's ball in across the face of goal where Magennis just couldn't get a toe on it at the far post. 

Andreu should have levelled for Saints with 15 minutes remaining. The Frenchman was met in space inside the box by Foley but didn't catch it properly as it clipped over. 

Andreu again spurned a brilliant chance to equalise for Saints when he missed from the penalty spot on 84 minutes. Obika had gotten on to a ball into the box and as he tried to round Joe Lewis to tap home into an empty net he was pulled back by the English goalkeeper. Despite appearing to make no genuine attempt to win the ball Lewis was only booked and guessed correctly to push away Andreu's spot-kick before saving the Frenchman's follow-up effort. 

Full-Time: Aberdeen 2-1 St Mirren

St Mirren: Hladky, P.McGinn, MacKenzie, McLoughlin, Waters, Flynn, S.McGinn (c), Foley (McAllister 75), Andreu (Morias 86), Magennis (Durmus 63), Obika
Subs Not Used: Lyness, MacPherson, Mullen, Cooke

Aberdeen: Lewis, Vyner, Considine, McKenna, Leigh, Ferguson, Campbell (Logan 71), Gallagher, N.McGinn (Main 86), Hedges (McLennan 76), Cosgrove
Subs Not Used: Cerny, Devlin, Wilson, Anderson

Referee: Steven McLean
Assistant Referee: Sean Carr
Assistant Referee: Craig Ferguson
Fourth Official: David Munro

Attendance: 12,829 (352 St Mirren fans)