Match Report: Hibernian 1-0 St Mirren

St Mirren's unbeaten run came to an end as Hibernian picked up all three points thanks to a first-half goal from Kevin Nisbet. 

There was very little between the two sides beyond Nisbet's terrific finish on 18 minutes. That was the first real piece of play either side created in the opening period of the match. Martin Boyle was allowed to drift in from the right along the edge of the box before picking out Nisbet just inside the box. The striker didn't have much space to work with but took a touch to compose himself before stroking into the top corner leaving Jak Alnwick with no chance.  

Saints heads didn't go down after the Hibs opener with MacPherson having the visitors first opportunity of the march three minutes after the goal. The midfielder, in for the injured Jake Doyle-Hayes, swung a foot on a Marcus Fraser cross, but it was easy for Hibs goalkeeper Ofir Marciano. Jamie McGrath was next to meet a Fraser ball on 26 minutes with the in-form Irishman nodding over.

Both sides made a change at the interval with Drey Wright on for ex-Saint Kyle Magennis, while Jim Goodwin brought on Ilkay Durmus for the injured Richard Tait.

Durmus could have made a quick impact but passed up a glorious chance to get Saints level six minutes after his introduction. The winger was found in acres of space inside the Hibernian box by a terrific MacPherson cross. He got the header wrong though and harmlessly nodded wide of target.  

With a little under 25 minutes to go Jon Obika was introduced to the fold in place of Lee Erwin. And the striker almost made an immediate impact when he latched on to a Ethan Erhahon ball over the top. He took it first time when he probably had more time than he thought which allowed Hibernian sub goalkeeper Dillon Barnes to gather. 

A minute later a fortuitous break of the ball following a Wright shot fell nicely for Hibs goalscorer Nisbet in acres of space at the back post. The striker looked like he was on hand to double his and Hibernian's tally only to inexplicably send the effort wide of target. 

Saints hopes of finding a leveller heading into the latter stages of the game were made tougher when Brandon Mason was giving his marching orders. The full-back could have no complaints after he was shown a second yellow card on 83 minutes after a foul on Martin Boyle.

There was still time for some late drama when Christian Doidge was shown a red card for the home side after catching Erhahon with a loose arm. 

Saints did commit men forward in an attempt to find an equaliser that would extend the unbeaten run to 12 matches but couldn't create the opportunity that would have got us level. 

Full-Time: Hibernian 1-0 St Mirren



St Mirren: Alnwick, Fraser, McCarthy, Shaughnessy (c), Tait (Durmus 45), Connolly (Morias 70), McGrath (Dennis 70), MacPherson (McAllister 78), Erhahon, Mason, Erwin (Obika 66)
Subs Not Used: Lyness, Finlayson, Foley, Flynn

Hibernian: Marciano (Barnes 57), P.McGinn, Hanlon (c), Porteous, Stevenson, Magennis (Wright 45), Hallberg (Gogic 90), Newell, Boyle, Doidge, Nisbet (Gullan 81)
Subs Not Used: Barnes, Gray, McGregor, Doig, S.McGinn, Bradley

Referee: Steven Kirkland
Assistant Referee: Daniel McFarlane
Assistant Referee: Graham McNeillie
Fourth Official: Don Robertson

  • Logo Clarke Epos
  • Uws.png
  • Kibble
  • Gennaro
  • Joma
  • Aspray
  • Big Front Door
  • FVL
  • Just Employment Law
  • Logo Digby Brown
  • Pro Life
  • The Energy Check
  • Ultimate Home Solutions
  • Curtis Sport
  • Logo Spfl 2020
  • Skysports 200
  • Logo Premiership 2021
St.Mirren FC
General Enquiries; 0141 889 2558
Ticket Office; 0141 840 6120
Commercial; 0141 840 1337

Email; [email protected]

Ticket Office Hours This Week;
18/10/2021 10:00 to 14:00
19/10/2021 10:00 to 14:00
20/10/2021 10:00 to 14:00
21/10/2021 10:00 to 14:00
22/10/2021 10:00 to 14:00
23/10/2021 CLOSED
24/10/2021 10:00 to 12:00
Call 0141 840 6120

[email protected]

[email protected]