Match Report: St Mirren 1-0 Aberdeen

St Mirren earned their first league win of the season and the Jim Goodwin era thanks to Ilkay Durmus’ first-half goal.

Durmus goal was no more than the Saints deserved as they outplayed Aberdeen in the first half and frustrated Derek McInnes’ side in the second for a well earned three points.

It may not have been the most ideal conditions for passing football with heavy rain falling in the hours leading up to kick off. But Saints were displaying some nice stuff as they looked to exploit the flanks and Jon Obika was a constant menace for the Aberdeen defence.

The Buddies were awarded for their neat play in the first half when Durmus opened the scoring after 14 minutes.

Kyle Magennis made a fantastic run down the wing and gave himself plenty of space to drive into the box. He cut the ball back to the 18 yard line where the onrushing Durmus fired home to bag his first goal for the Saints.

Jim Goodwin were clearly fired up after their goal and missed a couple of chances to extend the lead shortly after. Durmus and Gary Mackenzie headed over the bar as Aberdeen struggled to contain St Mirren down the wings.

Up the other end, the Saints defence were standing resolute and restricting the Dons to chances from distance. A powerful shot by Lewis Ferguson from about 25 yards out was straight at Vaclav Hladky and was the most the Czech goalkeeper was troubled in the first half.

The Buddies would have been expecting a reaction from Aberdeen in the second half and so it turned out to be as Main shot wide from the edge of the box and Hladky pulled off a terrific save to tip over a Ferguson header.

Main then had the ball in the net for his side. However, it was ruled out as the big striker illegally robbed the ball from the hands of Hladky.

The visitors then had what looked to be a strong shout for a penalty. A Ryan Hedges cross hit the arm of Ryan Flynn and there was a big shout from the Aberdeen fans and players alike for a penalty kick. Referee Steve McLean was unmoved however and the only action he took was to book Zak Vyner for his protestations.

Although the Buddies were more on the back-foot in the second half than they were the first, they were not without their chances.

Tony Andreu could not get the right contact on an inch perfect Paul McGinn cross and had to watch the ball trickle wide.

Kyle McAllister then came close to marking his return to the Saints with a fantastic goal as he drove from the halfway line before unleashing a curling effort just over the bar.

As the game went into four minutes of added on times Niall McGinn passed up on a gilt-edge chance to earn his side a point. The ball came to forward who was all alone at the back post, and with the goal at his mercy, hit the woodwork and the ball went harmlessly wide.

One goal was enough for the Buddies after an impressive performance. Goodwin’s men showed they can play good football and have the character to grind out results too after a battling second half display.

Full-Time: St Mirren 1-0 Aberdeen

St Mirren: Hladky, P.McGinn, McLoughlin, MacKenzie, Waters, Flynn, Foley, Magennis, Andreu (Breadner 88), Durmus (McAllister 70), Obika (Mullen 75)
Subs Not Used: Lyness, Baird, MacPherson, Djorkaeff

Aberdeen: Lewis, Vyner, Leigh (Wilson 87), Considine, McKenna, Ojo, Ferguson, Wright (Gallagher 62), Hedges, McLennan (N.McGinn 62), Main
Subs Not Used: Cerny, Logan, Devlin, Campbell, Wilson

Referee: Steven McLean
Assistant Referee: David McGeachie
Assistant Referee: Drew Kirkland
Fourth Official: David Lowe

Attendance: 6,199