St Mirren through to last 16 of Premier Sports Cup

St Mirren through to last 16 of Premier Sports Cup

St Mirren will face Livingston at the Tony Macaroni Arena after qualifying for the last 16 of the Premier Sports Cup after a 2-0 win over Partick Thistle.

Jamie McGrath and Joe Shaughnessy were on the scoresheet as the Buddies picked up the required result to ensure seeding in the next round of the cup.

Jay Henderson lifted the ball over Richard Foster and burst into the box before being hauled down by the experienced Thistle defender. McGrath was the man to step up and as he did so often last season, rolled home from 12 yards to put Saints ahead. 

Jamie McGrath scores his first goal of the season to put St Mirren in front (Image: Allan Picken)

Paisley blistered in 24 degree heat and a quick water break took place following McGrath's penalty. Three minutes after play resumed, the visitors could have been level through Brian Graham but for a brilliant stop by Jak Alnwick. 

McGrath almost grabbed his and Saints' second of the afternoon a little over 10 minutes after the restart. Striding into the box from the left side, the Irishman found his way on to a beautiful weighted pass from Henderson. His first effort was blocked by a Partick defender before he fired over the second attempt. 

A minute's applause took place from the St Mirren fans in attendance in tribute of 1959 Scottish Cup winner Tommy Leishman who sadly passed away this week at the age of 83.

With 20 minutes remaining, Saints needed a second to guarantee seeding in the next round of the cup. Chance after chance was created with Curtis Main going close twice in four minutes. First, the striker did brilliantly to steal the ball off Stuart Bannigan at the edge of the Thistle box, but slammed his effort wide. Main then nodded just wide after being on the end of a pinpoint Scott Tanser cross from the left.

Shaughnessy headed over from a corner, while Henderson volleyed into the arms of Partick Thistle goalkeeper Harry Stone from close range as time ticked away.

The five minutes of additional time were almost up as Jim Goodwin willed his side on for one last push, telling goalkeeper Alnwick to get the move started. Captain Shaughnessy pressed forward from centre-half and was in the right place at the right time to tap home Lee Erwin's ball across to secure St Mirren's place in the next round of the Premier Sports Cup.

Full-Time: St Mirren 2-0 Partick Thistle

St Mirren: Alnwick, Fraser, Shaughnessy (c), Dunne, Henderson, McGrath, Power (MacPherson 82), Kiltie (Erhahon 69), Tanser, Main, Brophy (Erwin 66)
Subs Not Used: Lyness, Tait, McCarthy, Flynn, McAllister, Finlayson

Partick Thistle: Stone, Foster, Holt (Niang 61), Turner (Owens 79), Bannigan (Gordon 74), Graham, Rudden (Murray 74), Bell, McKenna, MacIver, Docherty (c)
Subs Not Used: Sneddon, Ocholi

Referee: Alan Muir
Assistant Referee: Craig Ferguson
Assistant Referee: Gordon Crawford
Fourth Official: Steven Reid

Joe Shaughnessy scores the goal that secures Saints place as a seeded team in the last 16 of the Premier Sports Cup (Image: Allan Picken)

  • The Energy Check
  • Lottomart
  • Kibble
  • Logo Digby Brown
  • Uws.png
  • Aspray
  • Logo Clarke Epos
  • Ultimate Home Solutions
  • Pro Life
  • Curtis Sport
  • Just Employment Law
  • FVL
  • Joma
  • Big Front Door
  • Gennaro
  • Logo Spfl 2020
  • Skysports 200
  • Logo Premiership 2021
Enquiries; 0141 889 2558
Ticket Office; 0141 840 6120
Commercial; 0141 840 1337

Email; [email protected]

Ticket Office Hours This Week;
23/05/2022 10:00-16:00
24/05/2022 10:00-16:00 and 17:00-19:00
25/05/2022 10:00-16:00
26/05/2022 10:00-16:00 and 17:00-19:00
27/05/2022 10:00-16:00
28/05/2022 CLOSED
29/05/2022 CLOSED
Call 0141 840 6120

[email protected]

[email protected]