Match Report: St Mirren 0-0 Dundee United

Match Report: St Mirren 0-0 Dundee United

St Mirren secured their highest top-flight finish since 1989 after a goalless draw with Dundee United. 

A point - combined with Motherwell losing to Ross County - ensured Jim Goodwin's men finished in seventh place un the Scottish Premiership. 

Saints went into the match in eighth - knowing a win or a draw could be enough for seventh depending on how Motherwell fared at home to relegation battling Ross County. 

After a quiet opening 20 minutes, the game was awoken when Lee Erwin flashed a shot just wide from the edge of the area before Marcus Fraser made a vital block to deny Lawrence Shankland up the other end of the park a minute later. 

The Buddies felt they were denied a penalty on 27 minutes when Eamonn Brophy went down under the challenge of goalkeeper Ross Doohan. The forward broke through the United defence to go one-on-one with Doohan but was felled as he tried to round the goalkeeper. Referee Euan Anderson was unmoved to the frustration of Brophy and the Saints bench. 

Saints fashioned a couple of chances before the end of the half with Jamie McGrath - named St Mirren Player of the Year - heading wide from a Jay Henderson cross and Brophy snapping an effort just by the post after some good footwork to manoeuvre himself into a shooting position.

It was Brophy who went closest again for St Mirren after the interval when his rasping strike was touched over by Doohan on 54 minutes. 

Saints again came close on 68 minutes after a lovely passage of play. One touch passing involving substitutes Kristian Dennis, Jon Obika and Kyle McAllister saw the ball worked to Cammy MacPherson who curled wide from just inside the box.

With less than 20 minutes remaining, Dundee United were reduced to 10 men after a really poor challenge from Jamie Robson on McAllister. The United bench were livid at the decision as the defender was given a straight red but it was hard to argue that the referee had made the correct decision after Robson caught McAllister high with his studs showing.

United arguably had the better opportunities in the closing stages but couldn't take them as the game ended goalless. The St Mirren bench awaited news of the result at Fir Park before celebrating our highest league finish in 32 years. 

Full-Time: St Mirren 0-0 Dundee United

St Mirren: Alnwick, Fraser, McCarthy, Tait, Henderson, Flynn (MacPherson 46), Erhahon, Connolly (McAllister 62), McGrath, Brophy (Dennis 56), Erwin (Obika 56)
Subs Not Used: Lyness, Finlayson, Reid, Quaner

Dundee United: Doohan, L.Smith, Edwards, Chalmers (Sporle 67), Robson, Harkes (McNulty 56), Fuchs, Appere, Meekison (Hoti 56), K.Smith (Reynolds 83), Shankland
Subs Not Used: Deniz, Clark, Butcher, Davidson, Watson

Referee: Euan Anderson
Assistant Referee: Daniel McFarlane
Assistant Referee: John McCrossan
Fourth Official: John Beaton

  • Pro Life
  • Logo Clarke Epos
  • Big Front Door
  • Lottomart
  • Gennaro
  • Ultimate Home Solutions
  • Aspray
  • The Energy Check
  • Logo Digby Brown
  • Just Employment Law
  • Joma
  • Kibble
  • FVL
  • Curtis Sport
  • Uws.png
  • Logo Spfl 2020
  • Skysports 200
  • Logo Premiership 2021
Enquiries; 0141 889 2558
Ticket Office; 0141 840 6120
Commercial; 0141 840 1337

Email; [email protected]

Ticket Office Hours This Week;
23/05/2022 10:00-16:00
24/05/2022 10:00-16:00 and 17:00-19:00
25/05/2022 10:00-16:00
26/05/2022 10:00-16:00 and 17:00-19:00
27/05/2022 10:00-16:00
28/05/2022 CLOSED
29/05/2022 CLOSED
Call 0141 840 6120

[email protected]

[email protected]